Wednesday, October 19, 2011

you can tell they're sisters

When I was asked to create portraits of two sisters I jumped at the idea.  The day before I panicked.  I grew up with 2 brothers, and I was the middle child.  I have never done this, nor do I know what sisters do together.  So my wife came along to reassure me.

Here is a hint:  let them be themselves.  For this instance, it really helped that Sarah and I are already friends with Helen and Mimi, so they were were more likely to be natural.  Which I was thankful for.










For me, portrait photography is becoming less and less about how to pose people and more and more about how to let people be themselves. And if you think about it, you will never learn that in a photo book or at a photo class...it is just people skills. And that is when they start having fun too.

Yes, knowing how the camera works, how it sees light, how to capture a scene...and yes a little bit of posing helps, but this is only one layer in a photo; the subject needs to reveal something about themselves for a great photo too.

.



No comments: