Wednesday, March 9, 2011

swpjc photojournalism conference

Last weekend I pulled three, 20 hour days at the South Western Photojournalism Conference; a weekend designed for photographers who feel “photography to be a calling and an act of bearing witness.”   It was an amazing opportunity for networking, critique, and hearing from God.  To top it all off, I was able to spend time with two photo friends from college; Stephen McGee and Garrett Hubbard, who just got married



Most sessions were filled with talks by photographers who told their stories.  In a way it was like a worship service, highlighting Gods work in their lives.  A running theme was that in the midst of your life, God is setting up appointments where he is orchestrating events that you have no say in or influence.  All you need to do is show up, make the most of the situation and trust that the ability God has given you is worship back to Him.  Below is Jeremy Cowart and Louis DeLuca (who I got to stay with!)


It was great to see photographers, who in our eyes have "made it big," talk about the seemingly accidental paths that God has placed them on.  For me, I was also dealing with jealousy; but God reminded me one morning that He has created me to be me, and not someone else.  In fact, I am the only one that can be me.  It was a great amount of fun, although tiring, I will want to go again next year. 










No comments: