Saturday, September 6, 2008

sarah’s green tomatoes


Sarah has a little garden on our little porch. She has been thwarted many times by squirrels, chipmunks, birds, rabbits, cats, unicorns and/or dragons. She finally managed to get a good bunch of tomatoes but when she was watering them this morning they fell prey to a new predator…Sarah herself; she accidentally broke them off of their small little stem. Well they will now live forever because I liked their look too much not to photograph them.

Technical - how I lit it:

I have been thinking of many ways to light a subject creatively with only one light and the first thing that popped into my head was this option: I placed one strobe behind the subject and a reflector (white cardboard box top) on the opposite side (front) to reflect light back into the “face” of the subject. I new that I needed to set the strobe to fire manually because I needed to blow out the rim light in order to have enough power to bounce back in as fill, so I just dialed it up/down until I got what I wanted…didn’t take much time really, I was almost disappointed it was over so fast. I think it worked great and I wonder what it would be like to use this with a real person.

No comments: