Monday, February 27, 2012

red sky snowy night

The other night, it finally started to snow like it was winter.  The great big, fat, wet flakes that just stick to everything and refreshes the grey landscape.  It really has been a dull winter (weather wise that is) for photography, so this was a welcome sight...so much so that I was shooting away out the window and on the balcony in my pajamas before I even noticed that my wife went to bed.

Yes, that red/orange sky is natural, it is all the artificial light bouncing around off the snow, kinda freaky and cool at the same time.






The next morning, I wanted to "call in sick" but I knew that the snow was only going to last a couple hours...and really it was a little flat for photography.  A little sunlight would have done a ton to shape the snow and add shadows so that it was more than just a blanket of white.  And while your at it, a great big blue sky (with dark clouds for good measure) would have created a background that is different from the snow so we wouldn't have white on white...but it was still magical.






Technical note: remember to play with Exposure Compensation (push to the + side for more light) to brighten the snow and really make it white like it should be.  To be honest, I was really disappointing when I got these images into the computer.  I was groaning because it didn't look like this to my eyes outside.  It had so much more depth and detail in the whites, I am guessing it is because my eyes can see so much better in the highlights than the camera.  Like I said already, shadows from direct sunlight and a sky with color and/or texture would have really made these images pop, and maybe look like how my eyes were seeing the scene.


No comments: